Tuesday, November 8, 2011

transitions

with much encouragement from a good friend (thanks, Michael R!), I am going to post to my blog more frequently. i just started graduate school and finding that I need an outlet for my thoughts, process and ideas that is somewhat informal, yet shared with others. I have a lot on my mind that I want to write about, but I keep telling myself - oh wait until you are ready to publish that. well you know what...that might be awhile, so here I go. into the world of blogging just one step deeper.

my work is changing. I am seeing myself as a philosopher, thinker, lover, future mother, counselor, teacher, friend....I never imagined this could be so. I had my last official anti-trafficking speaking engagement a couple weeks ago at the Free Speech Movement cafe. Lots of my fellow MSW students came out (thanks, Class of 2013) and I spoke from a different space than usual. Nikki Junker, a fellow survivor and founder of With More than Purpose was here and taht was the first panel I was on with another survivor. It was SO great to have her there. Two young women finding our way in the world of freedom.

One thing I'm learning is that I have reached a "done" point with having my story be the focal point of my presentations/speaking engagements. I want to be known for something else. I turned out a HUGE offer to speak at a national anti-human trafficking conference this Spring. I don't regret it.

my work is changing. and yet it's the same. it's about life, love, and justice.

more to come on:
Principles of Community Action
Grief and Rage

No comments:

Post a Comment