Thursday, November 17, 2011

naming it makes a difference

What a relief to finally have a name, a phrase, for what I'm going through: Vicarious Traumatization!!!!

"Vicarious trauma is the process of change that happens because you care about the people you serve. Over time, this can lead to changes in your psychologocial, physical, and spiritual life that also affect your family, your organization, and your patients/clients." Peralman, L.A. & McKay, L (2008). Understanding and addressing vicarious trauma. www.heading-institute.org

I have had a rough time this semester, my first semester as an MSW/PhD student, and everything I've read about Vicarious Trauma today has resonated with me. I thought it was just me, dealing with my own trauma, but I'm learning now that it's also me, feeling other's traumas. Oh the ironies of empathy and being emotionally attuned. At least now I can pave the way towards greater self-care and health...

No comments:

Post a Comment