Thursday, April 14, 2011

CSU Channel Islands!

I'm having a great time so far presenting at Cal State Channel Islands. First of all, the campus and region is BEAUTIFUL. I could not believe I was driving to a college campus as I passed by huge stretches of farm land, the Topa Topa Mountains to my left, and the ocean to my right. Just REMARKABLE.

I want to thank Dr. Sunghee Choi and Pilar Pacheco for inviting me to come to CSUCI. I've presented in a Sociology of Gender and Sexuality course and a Sociology of Social Problems course. Both classes were engaged and participatory - I love that! One more Sociology of Gender presentation and a documentary screening tonight, and I'm heading home tomorrow.

Here's a great reflection one of the students wrote to me yesterday: "Saying that 'just because your story is so extreme, others then to think their story is less severe, or less important, and you don’t want that to happen' made me feel like my own experience with child abuse, is very real and valid. I have a lot to think about. Thanks for sparking that within me."

I love it. That's what I hope to have happen.
Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment