Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Lingering thoughts

I presented tonight at the Urban Teacher Leadership Program at Cal State East Bay's Oakland campus. (Thanks, Chris, for inviting me!) It was a small and intimate group and I am glad I joined them in their exploration of trauma and what educators can do about it. Some questions still lingering for me that I want to share...

- What is the impact of masses of people walking around in the world with shame?
- How have we come to hold so many secrets about our lives and our selves?
- Why do we live in so much fear?
- What role can an adult outside of a child's birth family play in their overall development?
- Should the role of educator be strictly defined? Should educators see themselves as responsible for the youth the serve? To what level of responsibility?
- I stated that we can't compare trauma and yet I called a car accident a "smaller" trauma than child abuse. How do we put trauma on a continuum without comparing or dichotomizing?




No comments:

Post a Comment